These folks have created a new career for themselves by becoming viral YouTube stars! Excluding channels dedicated to music videos and movie trailers, here are the top 10 highest-earning YouTube celebrities:
10. Annoying Orange: This comedy Web series, created by Dane Boedigheimer, debuted on YouTube in January 2010. Its videos feature an anthropomorphic orange who annoys other fruits and often uses crude humor. With more than 2 billion views in just four years, the channel has spawned a TV series, a video game, toys and a T-shirt line.
Annual earnings: $3.4 million
9. UberHaxorNova: James Richard Wilson Jr. is the man behind this channel, known for its inappropriate jokes and videos on games and the gamer lifestyle. He joined the video-sharing site in 2008.
Annual Earnings: $3.5 million
8. RayWilliamJohnson: Comedian Ray William Johnson was studying law at Columbia University when he started watching videos on YouTube. He then started making his own. He video-blogs and provides commentary on the biggest viral videos.
- Annual Earnings: $4 million
- Subscribers: 10,827,107
- Views: 2,810,096,227
7. TobyGames: This popular gaming channel is most known for its “Minecraft,” “Skyrim,” Happy Wheels, Slender and “Walking Dead” series. “Watch me fail to be good at video games,” the channel’s profile reads. The author also has two other channels, Tobuscus and TobyTurner.
- Annual Earnings: $4.2 million
- Subscribers: 6,917,106
- Views: 1,867,214,633
6. JennaMarbles: This comedian and YouTube personality has the seventh-most subscribed channel and the top channel operated by a female. Originally from Rochester, New York, Jenna Marbles first gained national attention with her video titled, “How to Trick People Into Thinking You’re Good Looking.”
- Annual Earnings: $4.3 million
- Subscribers: 14,511,148
- Views: 1,650,076,560
5. BluCollection ToyCollector: This channel provides “kid-friendly videos in Portuguese and Español for toddlers, babies, infants and preschool children.” This toy channel posts videos of unboxing and reviewing toys and play sets.
- Annual Earnings: $4.8 million
- Subscribers: 1,513,438
- Views: 2,622,204,041
4. DC Toys Collector: The channel is very similar to No. 5, and a Buzzfeed report suggests the founder of Disney Collector may be married to the man behind Blu Collection. The videos feature demonstrations of high-tech gadgets and children’s toys.
- Annual Earnings: $5 million
- Subscribers: 3,369,452
- Views: 4,560,266,446
3. Smosh: Anthony Padilla and his friend, Ian Hecox, are the guys behind Smosh. The comedy duo posts sketches and lip-sync videos and offer their own spin on everything funny or awesome on the Web.
- Annual Earnings: $5.7 million
- Subscribers: 19,545,673
- Views: 3,959,654,811
2. YOGSCAST Lewis & Simon: This YouTube mainstay, formerly known as BlueXephos, produces gaming content. “Join us as we laugh our way through the best, the worst and the funniest indie games, Minecraft mods, mini-games and adventure maps,” the authors write on their profile.
- Annual Earnings: $6.7 million
- Subscribers: 7,232,198
- Views: 2,940,251,397
1. PewDiePie: Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg goes by PewDiePie, an online alias. He is a Swedish video game commentator. This high-earning YouTube star is known for playing horror and action video games, especially “Amnesia: The Dark Descent.”
- Annual Earnings: $7 million
- Subscribers: 33,528,405
- Views: 7,400,126,842